Monday 25 February 2013

LOOK OUT FOR MISS RIGHT Episode 14 by MIRACLE ADEBAYO



I finished typing the SMS and sent it. I felt a bit relieved after that. I only hoped that Femi was with his phone and had gotten my text. I decided to wait a while, maybe he’d reply the text to let me know he was coming. While waiting, I stood in front of the bathroom mirror and examined my face, I looked terrible. I hadn’t slept well in two days and it showed. Tomorrow was another work day albeit the beginning of the weekend. Thinking of my office reminded me of the incident that had taken place earlier that day...I almost shuddered at the thought of it. What would happen if Chief Odeniran found out this latest development? I had promised not to step an inch towards his daughter. But I had kept my promise! I protested to myself. She had come looking for me, not the other way round. A nagging voice at the back of my mind told me that the excuse would not hold water in front of the Chief. If she had come looking for me, I could have simply run in the opposite direction. Well, that wasn’t as easy as it sounded, especially not when you have a threat hanging over your head.
 I rinsed my face and gargled water in my mouth. How long was this going to go on? I asked myself.
As though on cue, there was a loud rap on the door, and I heard her voice above the din of the rushing water.
“Jake?... Aren’t you done yet?”
I knew my time was up. I couldn’t keep her waiting for too long. I took one last look at my cell phone and checked to make sure my message had been delivered, it had. I sighed with relief... then all I had to do was wait and pray that my fish-brained friend would come to my rescue soon.
I unlocked the door and stepped out of the bathroom, she was leaning against the wall.
“You really took a bath?” She asked, following me into the room
I nodded.                                         
“That’s so sweet.... I had no idea you were such a neat freak.” She linked her arm through mine. “Makes you sexier”
I guess I was supposed to acknowledge that compliment, so I did...with a small smile.
We got to the bed, and sat down. She looked so eager and I almost pitied her. What on earth could drive a young, beautiful lady like Sonia to do all this? I mean, she could have any man she wanted, so why me? Why was she so intent on having me? It was no use deceiving myself that I was that good- looking. I mean, I know I was handsome, but not that handsome to warrant all this attention from a lady of Sonia’s calibre. There had to be something else.
“So... what do you wanna do first?” She asked softly
“Well, now that you ask... why don’t we talk a bit” I know how lame that must have sounded, but it was the best I could do on such short notice. I had to keep stalling.
“Talk?” She asked incredulously
“Yes dear.” I took her hands in mine. “You said you wanted our first time to be special, right?”
She nodded
“Well...I don’t just want to jump into bed with you like some common lady...I want to know how to...satisfy you. Tell me what you like so I can make those fantasies come true.” I sounded phony, and if it had been another woman, she might have known I was lying and acting. How Sonia never guessed, I wonder. Making the switch from an unwilling man to a ready lover had been too quick but somehow I think she was too taken with me that she never stopped to think. This was definitely not standard behaviour for a normal woman.
She was gazing at me like I was some god, her eyes told me everything I needed to know... and I began to believe that maybe she was indeed in love with me.
“You’re so... thoughtful, Jake” She was saying.
I stroked her face gently, empathy welling up in me. I found myself wondering what it’d be like to kiss her. The spell was instantly broken by a knock on the door and I thanked my stars. Help at last!
“Who is it?” She asked, going to the door.
“Room service” The person replied
Room service? Seriously? Femi had brains after all! He was actually faking room service... just like in the movies! I almost laughed. I braced myself as she opened the door and let the person in.
I had never been so disappointed in my life! It wasn’t Femi at all. It was an actual waitress with uniform and all....wheeling in a table. I groaned inwardly. Where was Femi for Chrissakes?
“Hope you don’t mind, darling” Sonia said as soon as the waitress left. “I took the liberty of ordering dinner, since you’ll most likely spend the night.”
Dinner?! Was it night already? How had time passed so fast? I glanced at my wrist watch... it was a few minutes past eight.
“Er... that’s fine. In fact, I just realised I’m a bit hungry.” I said
She frowned at me, obviously not happy with this new development.
 “Let’s eat first... we’ll have all the time to ourselves later” To drive away her suspicions, I leaned forward and kissed her lightly on the cheek.
It was like the sun instantly rose on her face. She gave me a smile so wide I thought her lips were actually going to tear. Just for a small peck? I wondered.
She had ordered a full spread, fried rice, salad and peppered chicken. We both sat down to eat, she brought the bottle of wine and opened it.
“To a new beginning” She said raising her glass in a toast
I responded in kind.
And just then there was another knock on the door. This time I knew it was Femi, but just to make sure, I asked;
“Another room service?”
“I have no idea. Didn’t order any” She replied, then stood to get the door.
 She didn’t come back quickly, and I heard what sounded like a heated conversation in low voices going on outside.
I went to the door and opened it, and sure enough there stood my one- man cavalry. Femi.
“What’s going on here?” I asked feigning ignorance
Sonia turned to me “He says he has to see you...but he won’t tell me why”
“Okay.” I said playing mediator. “So...I’m here. What can I do for you?”
Femi looked at me, without twitching an eyelid. But that guy can act sha. I didn’t know he had a hidden talent.
“Its your mother... she’s been rushed to the hospital. You’ve been sent for” He said matter- of –factly.
“My mother?” I asked
*FOR PREVIOUS AND FURTHER EPISODES OF THIS STORY PLEASE VISIT NAIJA STORIES OR CONTACT THE WRITER ON krystallemimi@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment